Followers

Thursday 28 April 2011

New shoes, new start

I recently bought a new pair of Vibram 5 finger shoes. This is somewhat of a hippyish tree hugger move by me so rest assured i have balanced out everything by punching a baby... ok so i haven't, but i should have, the fecker broke my iPod.

The Vibrams promote a more natural walking and running gait by making you walk on your forefoot rather than heelstrike all day. This uses the bio-mechanical system in your foot which has been perfected over millions of years of evolution to absorb all the shock of walking, which would otherwise be transferred to the knee.

I've gotten quite a few funny looks over them, plenty of questions which i've no problem answering, but most people just think i'm weird. 

Note to future buyers - for the love of all that is holy, don't go running in them on the first week! Your calves will pack up and refuse to work for several days after! Not a good situation to be in if you need to walk in your workplace! Also beware of the funk, the shoes will stink after a while, i'm going to need to get some form of deodorizer to combat the smell.... They shoes are machine washable, but at EUR 105 a pop i don't want to subject them to that sort of treatment to often, i wonder if tea tree oil would be a solution... (watch this space)

I'm sure i'll eventually find out how to attach pics, until then you can just take my word for how awesome they are

8 comments:

  1. Yea I want to try these as running shoes, but I'll look pretty ridiculous..And thanks for the warning about not to go running in the first week..Advise heeded

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen these, still not sure what to make of them, I would wear them walking the dog or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an image button on the toolbar when you're editing a post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think those shoes are great, they're different and look sweet haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm willing to try these shoes, I walk a lot

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a cool pair of shoes

    ReplyDelete
  7. heard of these. not a big runner myself but my preference is new balance 993. interesting concept though, will look forward to how they work out for you =]

    ReplyDelete